Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Price of Facebook Privacy


So after reading this article in addition to many others I've read recently, I feel as if I should disable myself from Facebook over the next few weeks. All forms of social media are supposed to unite people with new means of connecting, but when the price of that contact is sacrificing my privacy, that's not what I wanted out of this experience.

I use Facebook like an addicted crack user gets high off their drugs. Whether I'm trying to do work on my computer and I just find myself going typing the Facebook URL or i'm on my cell phone checking peoples updates i'm HOOKED! 400 million have now become members to this Facebook CRACK as a means of social communication with people. Getting off this drug will be a very hard task to accomplish. Must we have to pay because this compromises our privacy?

Personally I cannot take the chance right now. Being two weeks away from a college graduate I have already started the process of applying to jobs. It is a known fact that when it comes down to picking one candidate over another they can check Facebook to "judge" you. I've heard that no matter how tight your privacy is, companies have found ways to check out your pictures and information. As the article states, "The only way to disappear from those topics pages is to delete personal data from Facebook." But how far does personal data go? In the end I think I either need to delete Facebook for awhile or literally take off the Facebook wall, photos, albums, videos... and the list goes on and on.....


1 comment:

  1. As a soon-to-be graduate as well, I definitely feel you!

    I'm wary about the contents of my Facebook being plastered everywhere and don't like the fact that anyone with a corporate title can look at my privately marked things at the drop of a hat. I don't think Facebook was created with the intent for hiring parties to look into your private life, but that's what it's been reduced to. It's like back when we were kids and our parents wanted to know what websites we were visiting and who we were talking to at all times.

    I used to be proud of how my Facebook looked. Now, I'm just kind of iffy about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete